One Love

I've been watching a story unfold on this little island, and it has made me uneasy. Quite honestly, I wasn't sure how to address it, or if I should address it, but then today I felt I received enough of a sign that yes, I must address it on my blog. I cannot have this forum, and not address injustice when I'm seeing it unfold before me.

Bermuda is a British Territory. As you probably know, Same Sex Marriage is legal in Britain. Same Sex Marriage (SSM) became legal in Bermuda in May 2017. Then, in December of 2017, a bill to ban SSM was passed, with the intent to establish a domestic partnership act. Thereby making Bermuda the first jurisdiction to repeal SSM. This has all unfolded as my life began on this island. It has been hard to absorb as a Canadian. I recognize I am a guest, an ex-pat living in a foreign land, but SSM has been legal in my country since 2005, and certain provinces as early as 2003. So, I find this turn of events quite shocking.

The Domestic Partnership Act promises to give "equal rights" as SSM did, but it will not be marriage. Separate, but equal. That should be enough to send shivers down your spine.

Today, Ellen Degeneres chose to Tweet that she would cancel her vacation to Bermuda, and would encourage boycotting Bermuda.

I understand her sentiment, and I understand her anger. Especially after it was revealed in The Royal Gazette, the local paper, that officials in the government wanted to attract the pink dollar because they spend big money. Bermuda may not value your rights, but they will certainly value the dollars you wish to spend on their shores. People were shocked, and outraged.

Back to my sign today. I was with my husband in the grocery store, and I proclaimed, loudly, as I am not good at being quiet, "I understand why Ellen is mad, and why she wants to boycott Bermuda, but I wish she had also, or even more so, reached out to support the LGBTQ community here on this island". A Bermudian woman overheard me, and thanked me. She shared that is has become frustrating that the island is getting a reputation of being anti-LGBTQ that many Bermudian Christians, or otherwise, support the LGBTQ community, and SSM marriage.

I can feel it, many Bermudians are embarrassed that on the global stage they are being portrayed as bigots, and discriminatory. Clearly, there is a large group of people on this island that are anti-SSM, or this repeal would never have happened. They do not represent every person on this island. I know, and encounter so many people on this island who do not understand this act of discrimination.

I am appalled to hear that the BTA is seeking tourism money from a community they are now actively discriminating against.  Which of course comes after the huge backlash worldwide from news reaching over the Atlantic to Europe, and North America, and elsewhere. I don't blame people for wanting to boycott this island, or not wanting to spend their dollars here after this repeal. That said, there are many countries where SSM is not even remotely legal, and rights for LGBTQ are abysmal at best. Bermuda, however, has taken centre stage because they temporarily embraced a community, and then turned around and said never mind, we are taking away this right from you.

I come from a place where Human Rights are of utmost importance. Canada, I will boast, is usually on the forefront of being tolerant, diverse, and accepting. So I am mindful I am now living in a more conservative place. Damn, this still hurts. This still riles me up. I am actively choosing love over anger.

I will tell you why. It hurts me not because of any tourism dollars lost. That will hurt the island's economy, definitely. I am bothered by LGBTQ visitors having a negative experience. Sure, but like Ellen, they can choose not to come here. What I think that lady at the grocery store, and I, were in agreeance with is the fear of the LGBTQ community of Bermuda being ostracized.

This affects me on a personal level; friends, family, former colleagues. People who I care about, and love are LGBTQ. I remember when Ellen Degeneres came out over 20 years ago. It was brave, and a moment that changed history. I remember being so proud, and happy for her. To be a trailblazer, and to risk her own career. It was more important for her to be true to herself, than to pretend any longer she was not a lesbian.

That was 20 years ago. In modern day Bermuda, I can only image how the LGBTQ community must feel. A recent article from The Royal Gazette, discussed what I can only imagine was an agonizing decision for born, and raised Joe Gibbons to leave with his partner, and move to Canada. His partner being Canadian, they feel they may be more welcome there. This man is not young. This man is going to start his life over because he no longer feels welcome in the place he calls home. I do not know this man, but I can imagine how horrible that must feel, to decide you must leave to start over because you are discriminated against by the government, and factions of the population.

I feel for those that are struggling with their sexual, or gender identity, especially the youth. The fear of being an outlier must be consuming. It is hard enough with peer pressure to stand up for what is right, and to be true to your person, but add that not only do groups actively hate you (some of the comments on these articles were horrible), but that your own government does not support you. How can you fully embrace your life, when you probably feel you have to hide something that is so important to your identity? It must be hard to be show your LGBTQ pride when you feel you do not belong, and there might be backlash. There have been protests, and there is a movement to fight this bill. I should note that Ellen does link to the crowdfund page. More so, for as many hateful comments, there are Bermudians, and ex-pats who have shown considerable love, and support for their friends, family, neighbours, students, and strangers, who are LGBTQ.

I think what we need to show is love. Not hate, not anger, and not backlash. I do understand the boycott, but I am not sure it is what will change minds. Love trumps hate. Sounds corny, and cliché, I know, but it is true.

Love is love. All love is equal. One love. Love one another. I think we need to show love to the brave LGBTQ community here in Bermuda, and to those who support them. May they draw strength from the support on a local, and global scale. There is enough anger, and sadness here on the island for those who feel repressed by this recent government decision. I show my support with love.

I am hopeful that SSM will be reinstated in Bermuda. I hope that the LGBTQ community here knows they are loved. They are equal. They are citizens of this country, and they deserve to be heard.

For your consideration: The Crowd Justice page helping to raise funds for the legal proceedings to reinstate SSM in Bermuda.



Comments

Popular Posts