I'm a finalist for the 2019 CBC Nonfiction Prize

Hello Readers,

I have some EXCITING NEWS!!!!

The CBC has announced the shortlist for the CBC Nonfiction Prize. I am one of 5 people chosen for the shortlist by an esteemed jury. I'm extremely humbled, and honoured that Harold R. Johnson, Elizabeth Renzetti, and Mark Sakamoto not only read my story, but enjoyed it enough to put it forward for the shortlist.

The story is very personal, and I definitely felt vulnerable when writing it all those months ago. It's a snapshot into my childhood - the loneliness and and anxiety that came with every move, a behind closed doors view of my powerhouse of a mother who instilled in me a sense of right, social justice, and kindness that has shaped who I am today. My mother never talked to me like I was a child. She explained things to me that a lot of parents would not want to address. In this particular case: racism, and exclusionary behaviour towards Indigenous Peoples in Canada. Although this story is factually set in a small town in Nova Scotia, it could be Anyplace, Canada.

This honour is such a great milestone in my burgeoning career as a writer. It's both exciting, and nerve-wracking to know that my story will be available for anyone to read. What a rush!

If you wish to do so, please feel free to read my story, The Birthday Party.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts